With so many amazing sleep products on the market, knowing what to choose can be a challenge. Let’s start with the basics. When it comes to a good night’s rest, your mattress is one of the biggest investments you’re likely to make and experts recommend you change it every six to eight years. Though finding the perfect mattress is no fairy tale. If you are feeling your mattress is missing or has lost the comfort & support you need, there is an alternative way to upgrade. Mattress toppers have become increasingly popular and it’s no surprise why considering the way they can transform your sleep.
Though what is a mattress topper? How do they differ from a mattress protector? What are their benefits? And most importantly… Do you need one?
What is a Mattress Topper?
A mattress topper is a single layer that slides over your mattress bringing an extra layer of comfort & support to bedtime. The styles, fillings and quality vary and it’s best to take your time in choosing yours. From gels, and feathers to microfibre the filling of a mattress topper can make a big difference to how it feels. The Panda Hydro-Foam™ Topper features a cooling gel that reacts to your body temperature for cool summers & cosy winters, while 3rd generation memory foam keeps you in perfect alignment from top to toe. Do your research and choose the best Topper you feel fits your unique sleeping position. Certain foams contour perfectly to every sleeper, so even if you are an all-night wriggler, you will stay sleeping soundly.
How is a Mattress Topper different from a Mattress Protector?
A mattress protector is a thin layer of fabric used to protect your mattress against accidental spills, bacteria, and damage. A good mattress protector can increase the lifespan of your mattress and keep it fresh. From coffees in bed to late-night snacks, a protector will prevent stains and smells from lingering around. A mattress topper is far thicker than a protector and is used to add a layer of comfort & support, while many still have anti-bacterial and moisture-wicking properties. The combination of both can keep bedtime cool, comfy, and protected.
What are the benefits of a Mattress Topper?
Before you consider if and what Mattress Topper might be right for you, let’s take a look at their benefits.
1. Can add years to your mattress –Ok, so experts recommend changing your mattress every six to eight years… Though with a good mattress Topper you might not have to. A Topper takes the pressure off your mattress meaning it can last a lot longer and maintain the comfort & support you need for a good night’s sleep.
2. Gives you extra support –If your mattress does not cut the mustard, your sleep is likely to suffer. From achy backs to cranky necks, not having the proper support over time can affect everything from posture, and mobility to mood. An orthopaedic grade mattress topper keeps you in perfect alignment from head to toe so not only do you love jumping into bed… You wake up ready to jump out of it in the morning and take on your day.
3. Makes bedtime soo much comfier –The right mattress topper can turn your bedroom into a five-star hotel, (minus the room service) The extra layer of luxury can transform the comfort of your mattress, making those early nights far more appealing. Choosing the right filling and fabrics for your unique sleeping style is important. Consider whether you like a firm, medium or soft and read as many reviews as possible to ensure you find the perfect one.
4. Keeps your mattress clean and fresh
(some even protect against allergies) –Mattress toppers are an easy (and super comfy) way to keep bedtime clean and fresh. Many are anti-bacterial, moisture-wicking & odour resistant. Certain fabrics, like bamboo, are naturally hypoallergenic meaning your topper will not only feel silky, and smooth on the skin, it will gently protect against allergies. Great for eczema sufferers, hay fever season and those looking for sneeze-free, restorative sleep!
5. Keeps you cool & cosy –While Memory Foam can naturally retain heat, certain toppers contain gels and fabrics that provide thermo-regulation, keeping you cool in the summer and cosy in the winter. If you are a hot sleeper, regularly tossing and turning in the night a thermo-regulating mattress topper could be the key to cool, fresh, fidget-free nights.
Do you need a mattress topper?
If you are looking to add a layer of luxurious comfort & support to your mattress without the hassle (and expense) of changing it, the chances are you would benefit from finding the best mattress topper. Though choosing the right one for you is important. Here’s what to look out for;
1. Thickness – Mattress Toppers can vary in thickness from 1-4 inches. When choosing thickness consider the density that works best for your sleeping position and whether you prefer soft, medium or firm. A thicker topper will provide more cushioning while thinner toppers can offer more support.
2. Filling & Fabrics – When it comes to fillings, consider those that are most supportive & comfortable. Naturally, cooling gels are better if you are a hot sleeper. In terms of support, look for orthopaedic grade standard foam. As for fabrics, antibacterial hypoallergenic all get gold stars for a better bedtime.
3. Awards & Reviews – When choosing a mattress topper online, awards and reviews are your eyes in the dark. Brands with awards, great reviews, and an exceptional customer support team will give you the confidence and reassurance to make a choice. Guarantees and sleep trials are another good sign your sleep is in good hands.
In the quest for a good night’s rest, a mattress topper could be your knight in shining armour. From better support, incredible comfort & fresher bedtimes, it might be time to start a 30-night-trial.